Friday, May 28, 2010

Blessings In Disguise

Life is funny sometimes. You never know what's really going to happen and all you can do is make educated guesses as to what's going to happen next. The old expression "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" has been the running theme of this artist's life lately. I've had a horrible string of luck with my health lately which has forced me into taking a medical leave of absence from my job as an interior designer. In Canada as an employed individual I qualify for Employment Insurance for just such an emergency, but the downside is that it only pays me 55% of my regular income. However, money isn't everything.

The upside of all this is that I've had a chance to work on everything else that I can never find the time to do because I'm chained to the daily grind of my regular job which I have really grown to resent in the past year. It's not that being an interior designer is a bad job, it's just that when I could be spending my time making music, acting, singing and painting, designing kitchens and bathrooms for fussy, upper middle class, post-menopausal women all day really begins to lose it's luster.

In the past 2 weeks that I've had off, I've been able to start painting a mural to pay for my acting classes and voice over demo, I've been to 4 auditions, booked a role for a short film, written and recorded a song, met with a director friend of mine about an upcoming theatrical production and started writing this blog to help keep myself inspired and on track. I'm the sickest I've ever been, but I'm also the most alive.

Life is never predictable, it's like the ocean. Sometimes it's calm, sometimes it's stormy, but it's always changing and we can't control it. All we can do is take the skills we've learned and talents we've been given and use them to ride the waves and keeps our heads above the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment